Friday, May 23, 2008

LOCAL BERRIES



About this time of the year, I get ready to go out with my family to start picking wild blackberries and also cultivated blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries. I can smell the U-pick orchards and cherish the times the kids and I picked fresh berries at the local Orchards around Corvallis, Oregon.

Think of a whole tray about the size of an empty case of beer filled with strawberries for about $3.00 or less. Yummy, it was strawberry iced tea, strawberry shortcake, strawberry ice cream, strawberry lemonade, you name it. Now, the prices of strawberry on Saipan has just got me salivating but not purchasing. Well, I admit, I purchase maybe once every two months or so. I am so strawberry deprived! Not to mention, blueberry deprived and raspberry deprived.

Anyway, this local berry, not even sure what the name is, was planted by my mom at our homestead in Kagman. It is sweet and yummy, but the plant itself does not produce alot of fruits. Hopefully one day someone will create an orchard so that our tourist and locals also can go and pick locally grown fruits and pay by the pound.

No comments: